Top Bar

Mobile Menu Trigger

Welcome to Vernon, a celebrated place to live, work and visit. 

Common Election Questions

What are the key dates for the November 28, 2023 special election?

The special election will occur on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023 between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.

The special election is to choose the 12th member of the Vernon Town Council. That will be the only question on the ballot.

The deadline to register to vote is Nov. 21, 2023.

People eligible to vote who move into town, become U.S. citizens or turn 18 years of age after Nov. 21, 2023 can register to vote from on Nov. 27, 2023 from 9 a.m. to noon. There is no election day registration for the special election.

When will absentee ballots become available?

Absentee ballots for the special election are available beginning on Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2023.

Are some elected offices voted on during even-numbered years and others during odd-numbered years?

In every even-numbered year, Connecticut voters elect to two-year terms:

  • Members of the Connecticut House and Senate
  • Members of the U.S. House of Representatives
  • Some Registrars of Voters

In even-numbered, non-presidential election years, Connecticut voters elect to four-year terms:

  • Governor
  • Lieutenant Governor
  • Secretary of the State
  • State Treasurer
  • State Comptroller
  • Attorney General
  • Probate Judges
  • Some Registrars of Voters

In all odd-numbered years, Connecticut votes elect to two- and four-year terms municipal officials, including:

  • Mayors
  • Selectmen
  • Town Councils
  • Some Town Clerks
  • Boards of Education
  • Other offices specified by state law or local municipal charters.

Do I have to choose a political party when I register to vote?

No. It is your choice. If you choose not to register with a party (which means you will be an unaffiliated voter), indicate that choice in the appropriate place on the registration form. Please note: Only enrolled party members are eligible to vote in primary elections.

Unaffiliated voters can join a political party up until 5 p.m. the day before a primary.

Voters changing their registration from one party to another must wait 90 days before being eligible to vote in a party primary.

Do I need to bring identification to vote?

Yes. When you enter a polling place to vote, you must present identification. It can be your driver's license or anything that has your name and one of the following:

  • Photo
  • Signature
  • Address

When are the polls open?

All polling places are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. for primaries and elections.

Can I vote if I won't be home on Election Day?

Yes. Any qualified registered voter can vote by absentee ballot if they are not available to vote in person due to one of the following:

  • Absence from town during all voting hours
  • Illness
  • Physical disability
  • Active U.S. military service
  • Religious reasons
  • Duties as an Election Official

You can request an application for an absentee ballot in person from your Town Clerk, by calling the Vernon Town Clerk at 860-870-3662, by emailing the town clerk at You can also register apply for an absentee ballot through the Secretary of the State's website by clicking here. If your signature is on file with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles, an absentee ballot will be issued to you.

If you return the application by mail, your absentee ballot will be sent to you by mail.

Absentee ballots become available:

  • 21 days before a primary
  • 31 days before a regular election

You can return your absentee ballot:

  • By mail.
  • In person.
  • By placing it in the drop box in front of Town Hall.

Please note: Your ballot must be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day for it to be counted.

If you have an unexpected illness or physical disability commencing within six days before the polls close on Election Day or Primary Day, you can still vote. Call the Registrar of Voters at 860-896-2376 or the Town Clerk at 860-870-3662 for the procedure you will need to follow.

Does my polling place change from year to year?

At this time in the Town of Vernon, your polling place remains the same for Primaries and Elections. If you are unsure about where you vote, you can visit the Voter Registration Lookup website or call the Registrars of Voters at 860-896-2376.

Where do I vote when there is a referendum?

When there is a referendum, all voters cast their ballots at Center 375, 375 Hartford Turnpike.


Return to Vernon Elections Page