Vernon Senior Center Weekly News
May’s Monthly Activities
Masks are optional for members who are vaccinated and recommended for those who are not vaccinated.
Exercise Programs: Registration is required for the exercise programs.
- Chair Yoga – Mondays at 1:00pm
- Seated Volleyball – Mondays, May 2nd & 16th at 11:00am (registration is needed for this program)
- Tai Chi – Thursdays at 9:30am
- Strength Class – Thursdays at 12:00pm
- Balance Class – Fridays at 12:00pm
- The Fitness Center is open by appointment only. Participants are required to have a doctor’s consent form, signed no longer than a month prior.
- LongView Wealth Management with Ken Huffine on Facebook Live - Thursday, May 5th at 9:15am – Inpatient vs Outpatient, May 19th at 9:15am – How to file an appeal
- Introduction to Pickleball – Tuesday, May 10th at 10:30am – The pickleball court is open for playing! Chris, a town employee, is our authority on everything pickleball. He will be leading an informational discussion on the rules, scoring, equipment, and the court set-up. If you have any interest in pickleball, don’t miss this free presentation. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
- Habitat for Humanity – Thursday, May 12th at 1:00pm They are more than homebuilders! Habitat recently expanded its footprint to include Tolland County, and as a new neighbor, they would like to introduce themselves. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
Reoccurring Monthly Programs: Free
- Poetry Corner – Friday, May 20th at 1:00pm - Calling all poets or poem enthusiasts. Come and enjoy poems written by favorite poets. Or better yet, have you written poetry that you would like to share with others? Well, this is the place. Each month we will learn about one poet and their works. The poet we will be learning about is Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
- The Great Courses – Wednesdays, May 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th at 10:00am (This program will continue until the course has been completed) – The Great Courses is a series of college-level lectures, given by professors, on a large variety of topics. The Center is offering “America’s Founding Fathers,” given by Professor Allen C. Guelzo. Two, thirty-minute lectures will be offered each Wednesday. These lectures are on DVD.
- Film Critics – Thursday, May 5th at 1:00pm - A book club, but with movies! This month’s movie is The Song of Names The group will view the movie and then have a conversation after.
- TED Talks – Wednesday, May 25th at 2:00pm – Participants will watch the video and a discussion will be held after.
- Genealogy Club – Thursday, May 12th at 1:00pm – Alison Watson will be leading the Genealogy Club that takes place monthly. She will be able to help further your ancestry journey. The Club is a great place to gather new ideas and get answers to questions that you might have.
- History for Fun - Monday, May 9th at 10:00am – Joe Ouellette will lead this program. This month’s topic is “Bully” – Theodore Roosevelt.
- Bookworm’s Book Club – Thursday, May 19th at 10:00am – This month’s book is Seven Perfect Things by Catherine Ryan Hyde. All participants are responsible for getting their own book.
- Mysteries & “Just Desserts” – Friday, May 6th at 1:00pm – Are you interested in joining a book club? Do you like mysteries and good company? If you answered yes, then we have the group for you! Our book club meets every month. The books are mysteries with a secondary topic of food. All participants are responsible for getting their own book. This month’s book is Éclair Murder by Harper Lin.
- Mysteries & “Just Desserts” – Friday, June at 3rd 1:00pm – Lemon Tart by Josi S. Kilpack.
- What’s at the Movies – Thursday, May 12th at 1:00pm –The movie is Tower Heist (2011 / PG-13 / 1hr 44mins). When a group of hard-working guys find out they've fallen victim to their wealthy employer's Ponzi scheme, they conspire to rob his high-rise residence.
- What’s at the Movies – Friday, May 20th at 1:00pm – The movie is Here Today (2021 / PG-13 / 1hr 57mins) When veteran comedy writer Charlie Burnz meets New York street singer Emma Payge, they form an unlikely yet hilarious and touching friendship that kicks the generation gap aside and redefines the meaning of love and trust.
- Food for Thought – May 25th 11:30am – Berries with Banana Cream
- Newcomers Group – Wednesday, May 25th at 11:00am – If you have recently become a member of the Center, please join us for our Newcomers Group. Come and learn about the different programs and activities we have to offer.
- Chorus – Fridays, May 13th & 27th from 1:00pm-2:30pm – This is a reminder for those already registered for this program. If you are interested in joining the chorus, please call the Center to be put on the waiting list.
- Shakespeare’s “Othello” – Wednesdays May 11th, 18th, 25th, & June 1st, 8th from 1:00pm-2:30pm – Join Tom Malone, as he takes you through each act of William Shakespeare’s Othello. Participants are responsible for their own copy. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
- Lady’s Tea – Wednesday, May 4th at 12:00pm – Springtime is a great time to hold a Lady’s Tea. This event is open to the lady members of the Center. The Menu is a variety of teas, finger sandwiches, and desserts. During the tea, violinist Rhonda Larson will be entertaining us. Please feel free to dress up and wear your fancy hat. $10 per person. Please come to the Center to register.
- Kentucky Derby Drive-Thru – Friday, May 6th at 10:30am – There are few American sporting events with the history and popularity of the Kentucky Derby. Alcohol-Free Mint Juleps and a delicious and fun “feed bag” will be given to each participant. You can’t be part of the Kentucky Derby without cheering on your horse. Each participant will receive a randomly picked horse to root for. If your horse wins, so do you! The winners will receive a special prize. Prizes will be available for pick-up on the following Monday. Winners need to keep the ticket with the winning horse’s name to collect their prize.
- Juniper Homecare Bingo – Monday, May 9th at 2:00pm – Juniper Homecare will be sponsoring a fun BINGO at the Center. Winners will receive prizes. This event is Free. Please call the Center to register.
- Jacob Weidenmann Presentation – Thursday, May 19th at 6:30pm – Jason Scappaticci will lead a presentation on Jacob Weidenmann, a well renowned landscape architect, with strong ties to Hartford, CT. Come learn how and where Jacob changed the look and feel of Hartford. $5 per person. If you are interested please come to the Center to register.
Health & Wellness: Free unless otherwise stated
- Veterans Group – Wednesday, May 4th at 1:00pm – This program is led by Sherri Vogt, Veterans Liaison, from Hartford HealthCare at Home.
- Foot Care - May 5th, 18th, & 19th - A specially trained nurse from Pedi-care will provide foot care, a general assessment of the feet and lower extremities, and provide guidance for better foot health. Cost: $30 (pay nurse directly, with check or cash). If you are interested, please call the Center for an appointment. Appointments are being made for May. Masks will be required for this clinic, due to the close proximity of individuals.
- Alzheimer’s Support Group – Wednesday, May 18th from 9:30am – 11:00am at the Center. This is a general caregiver support group sponsored by the Alzheimer's Association. All are welcome. Information and resources will be provided. If you are interested in this program, please call Karla at 860-983-9202 to register. All participants need to be registered. This program is free.
- Diabetes Prevention Program – Wednesday, May 18th. This is a reminder for those that are in the program.
- Blood Pressure / Blood Sugar – Tuesday, May 24th from 9:00am – 11:00am – A nurse from ECHN / Visiting Nurses will be available to test blood sugar and take blood pressures. This program is free. Open to Center members. No appointments are needed.
- Virtual Dementia Caregiver Support Group – Tuesday, May 31st from 11:00am – 12:00pm on Zoom - Alzheimer’s Association support groups, conducted by trained facilitators, are a safe place for people living with dementia and their care partners to talk through issues and ways of coping, share feelings, needs and concerns, and to learn about community resources. Presented by: Alzheimer’s Association. Please contact Nicole Matson: email@example.com or (860) 810-6123.
- Hearing Screening – Wednesday, June 29th – A representative from Hearing Wellness Center will provide free hearing screenings, check hearing aids, and will be available to answer any questions you may have. Call the Center to make an appointment.
Creative Corner: Free unless stated otherwise
- Crochet & Knitting Class – Mondays at 1:00pm – Are you looking to learn how to knit or crochet? Maybe you are looking to learn how to read a new pattern. Linda can help. Each class is $5, payable to the instructor.
- Crochet & Knitting – Wednesdays at 10:00am – This program is open to those that like to knit or crochet with like-minded individuals.
- Zen-tangle – Wednesday, May 11th at 1:00pm - This program teaches how to turn doodles into art.
- Cards with Beth – Monday, May 16th at 1:00pm - Are you looking for that special card? Why not make it? Beth has card kits for every occasion. Kits are payable by cash or check made out to Beth Werner. Prices vary from $1-$3, per card.
- Make It & Take It Paint Class – Thursday, May 26th at 9:30am & 1:00pm – Make a beautiful acrylic painting in one session! Sandra Poirier will take you step-by-step in creating your own masterpiece. Supplies are included. This class costs $15 per person. Payment is due at sign-up.
- Crafty Creations – Thursday, May 27th at 1:00pm – No-Sew Quilt Boads - All needed materials will be supplied. If you are interested please call the Center.
- BINGO - Tuesdays at 1:00pm - Participants pay for cards used
- Whodunits – Monday, May 23rd at 10:00am – Do you like to solve crime? Participants will listen to a short story, from which you have to identify the criminal.
- Trivia – Tuesday, May 17th at 11:00am – Test your knowledge on a variety of subjects.
- Pictionary – Tuesday, May 31st at 11:00am – Can you guess what your teammate is drawing?
- Virtual BINGO – Thursday, May 26th at 11:00am – Nicole, from Home Helpers, will lead this fun, virtual BINGO.
- Out to Lunch Bunch – Travelers Food and Book – Wednesday, May 18th at 12:00 –
- Check out the May Newsletter for the 2022 Friendship Tours being offered through the Center.
- Southern Charm: September 11th – 17th, 2022 – Flyers are available at the Center.