Vernon Senior Center News
NEWS RELEASE - JUNE 2023
June’s Special Events
- FrankenPhil & Root Beer Floats – Thursday, June 8th from 2:00pm-3:00pm – FrankenPhil is an acoustic duo, whose song book consists of Dylan, Clapton, Taylor, and Lightfoot, just to name a few. As the duo plays, we will be enjoying root beer floats. This program will be under the pavilion, weather permitting. Come and enjoy great music and a refreshing root beer float. This program is full, waiting list only!
- "The Singing Sensations" Concert – Friday, June 16th at 3:00pm – "The Singing Sensations" are back with all new songs to perform for us. This musical group is made up of Vernon Senior Center members. Come show your support for all their hard work and enjoy a concert at the same time. Light refreshments will be offered. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
- Men’s Night Out (In) – Friday, June 16th at 6:30pm - Dinner, 7:10pm - Game Starts – Come watch the Red Socks vs. Yankees baseball game! There will be pizza, wings, soda, O’Doul’s, dessert, and raffles. Feel free to represent your favorite team while you cheer them on! As well as baseball, the outdoor games and billiards will be open. If you are interested, please come to the Center to register. Cost: $10 per person.
- Mass-Conn-Fusion Duo – Wednesday, June 21st at 6:30pm - Dinner, 7:00pm-8:00pm - Show – We will start the evening with a catered dinner of BBQ chicken, macaroni salad, potato salad, roll/butter, watermelon, and dessert. As we are finishing dinner, Mass-Conn-Fusion Duo will be starting the show. The duo is made-up of a sax player and a bass player. They play instrumental music from the 40’s to the present. This evening program will be held under the pavilion, weather permitting. Let’s start the summer off right! If you are interested, please come to the Center to register. Cost: $13 per person.
- AARP Safe Driving Course – Wednesday, June 28th from 11:30am – 3:30pm – AARP Members $20/Non-Members $25. Check only, payable to AARP. Must be a member of the Vernon Senior Center. Please call the Center to register.
- LGBT Moveable Senior Center – Thursday, June 29th at 12:30pm – The Moveable Senior Center (MSC) was created by Connecticut’s LGBT community members in collaboration with the CT Healthy Living Collective and other allies. The MSC is a welcoming pathway for LGBT older adults to access Senior Centers and their range of programs and resources. The Vernon Senior Center is a proud member of the Moveable Senior Center! Our first program, as a new member of the MSC, will be an intergenerational event, collaborating with the Diversity Club at the Rockville High School. Their club will meet with the participants of the MSC. There will be refreshments, ice breakers, led discussions, and breakout groups. If you are interested please register online at the CT Healthy Living Collective Website – cthealthyliving.org.
Exercise Programs: Registration is required for the exercise programs.
- Chair Yoga – Mondays at 1:00pm
- Seated Volleyball – Mondays, June 5th, 12th, 19th, & 26th at 11:00am
- Cardio Drumming – Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:00pm
- Trail Walking Group – Tuesdays at 9:00am –This group walks on the Vernon Rails to Trails.
- Line Dancing – Tuesdays at 9:30am
- Tai Chi – Thursdays at 9:30am
- Strength Class – Thursdays at 12:00pm
- Beginner Line Dancing – Fridays at 9:30am
- Balance Class – Fridays at 12:00pm
The Fitness Center equipment is available by appointment only. Participants are required to have a doctor’s consent form, signed no longer than a month prior.
Health & Wellness: Free unless otherwise stated
- Diabetes Prevention Program – Wednesday, June 7th at 10:00am
- Veterans Group – Wednesday, June 7th at 2:30pm
- Foot Care – June 1st & 15th – Cost: $30 (pay nurse directly, with check or cash). At this time, no future appointments will be taken.
- Alzheimer’s Support Group – Wednesday, June 21st from 9:30am – 11:00am. If you are interested in this program, please call Karla at 860-983-9202 to register. All participants need to be registered.
- Blood Pressure / Blood Sugar Screening – Tuesday, June 27th from 9:00am – 11:00am - Appointments are needed. Masks are required. Please call the Center to make an appointment.
Reoccurring Monthly Programs: Free
- Mysteries & “Just Desserts” – Thursday, June 1st at 2:00pm – Blueberry Muffin Murder by JoAnne Fluke.
- The Great Courses – Wednesdays, June 7th, 14th, 21st, & 28th at 10:00am – “America’s Musical Heritage”.
- Genealogy Club – Thursday, June 8th at 1:00pm
- Chorus – Fridays, June 9th & 16th at 1:00pm – Concert rehearsal, Thursday June 1st at 2:00pm
- Senior Jam Session – Tuesday, June 20th at 2:00pm
- Newcomers Group – Wednesday, June 21st at 11:00am
- Film Critics Club – Wednesday, June 21st at 1:00pm - This month’s movie is Stardust.
- At the Movies – Friday, June 23rd at 1:00pm - The movie is Ticket to Paradise.
- Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective – The Thames Murders & Other Cases – Wednesday, June 28th or Friday, June 30th at 1:00pm – Each Month will be a different case to solve.
- At the Movies – Friday, June 30th at 1:00pm - The movie is Hairspray.
Creative Corner: Free unless stated otherwise
- Cards with Beth – Monday, June 12th at 1:00pm
- Crafty Creations – Friday, June 16th at 1:00pm – Tie Dye – Bring your own articles to color. We will supply all other needed materials. If you are interested please come to the Center to register. Cost: $5 per person.
- Make It & Take It – Paint Class – Thursday, June 22nd at 1:00pm – Supplies are included. This class costs $17 per person. Payment is due at sign-up.
Nutritional Lunch Program:
- Lunches are served on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 11:45am-12:15pm, and the cost is $5 each. Payment can be made with cash or check made out to the Vernon Senior Center. The lunches will be served & enjoyed in-house. Food cannot be taken out of the Center. Menu is subject to change without notice. Lunch reservations must be made no later than 10:00am the day prior by calling 860-870-3596.
- Individual Tech Sessions – Thursdays from 11:00am-1:00pm – Call for an appointment.
Trips sponsored by the Senior Center
- Olde Mistick Village - Wednesday, June 7th – 10:00am arrival time – There will be extensive walking. This trip is FULL. Please call to be added to the waitlist.
- Out to Lunch Bunch – Artisanal Burger Company, in Manchester, CT – Wednesday, June 14th arrive at the restaurant at 12:30pm. This trip is FULL. Please call to be added to the waitlist.
- Relax on the River, The Griswold Inn, RiverQuest Cruise - June 27, 2023 (This trip is full, waiting list only.)
- Log Cabin Lobster Event - July 18, 2023
- Aqua Turf Lunch & Show - August 10, 2023 (Registration opens June 1, 2023.)
- Ogunquit, ME - August 30, 2023 (Registration opens June 1, 2023.)
- Vermont's Champlain Valley - September 12 - 14, 2023 (Registration opens June 1, 2023.)
- Radio City Christmas Spectacular - November 28, 2023 (Registration opens June 1, 2023)
- National Parks of America - August 19 - 30, 2023
- France Magnifique - September 28 - October 9, 2023