Vernon Senior Center News
October’s Monthly Activities
Every program requires registration. Walk-ins are not permitted at this time. Masks are required for those unvaccinated. People that are vaccinated are highly recommended to wear the masks. Membership is required.
- Chair Yoga – Mondays at 1:00pm – In-house & Facebook Live
- Tai Chi – Thursdays at 9:30am – In-house & Facebook Live
- Strength Class – Thursdays at 12:00pm – Facebook Live
- Balance Class – Fridays at 12:00pm – Facebook Live
- The Fitness Center is open by appointment only. Participants are required to have a doctors consent form, signed no longer than a month prior.
- Stateline Senior Services – Sam Moser will highlight different insurance options during Medicare enrollment - Wednesday, October 20th at 1:00pm – Aetna, Wednesday, October 27th at 1:00pm – Care Partners.
- LongView Wealth Management – Thursday, October 28th at 9:00am on Facebook Live – Kenneth Huffine, President, will be discussing Medicare topics. To watch this presentation, please go to our Facebook page – Vernon Senior Center at Bolton Road.
Reoccurring Monthly Programs: Free
- History for Fun - Monday, October 18th at 11:00am – Joe Ouellette will lead this program. This month’s topic is: The Mystery of the Mary Celeste. Come learn about the mystery ship from a long time ago.
- What’s at the Movies – Friday, October 22nd at 1:00pm –This month’s movie is The War with Grandpa (2020 / PG / 1hr 34mins). A war breaks out between, a sixth grader and his Grandfather, after his Grandfather moves into the house and is given the boy’s bedroom. Soon, the friendly combatants are engaged in an all-out war with side-splitting consequences.
- Newcomers Group – Wednesday, October 27th at 11:00am – If you have recently become a member of the Center, please join us for our Newcomers Group. Come and learn about the different programs and activities we have to offer.
- Food for Thought – Wednesday, October 27th at 11:30am - This month we will be featuring Pumpkin Dump Cake. Each participant will receive the recipe and a sample to enjoy.
- Mysteries & “Just Desserts” – Friday, October 29th at 1:00pm – Are you interested in joining a book club? Do you like mysteries and good company? If you answered yes, then we have the group for you! Our book club meets every month. The books are mysteries with a secondary topic of food. All participants are responsible for getting their own book. This month’s book is Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson.
- Mark Twain and the Supernatural – Thursday, October 28th – 6:30pm dessert is served & 7:00pm – 8:00pm presentation. Jason Scappaticci will be leading a discussion on Mark Twain and the Supernatural. He has researched this aspect of the Twain mansion and will share the “haunted house” stories and legends with participants. Cost: $5 per person. This event is sold out, waiting list only.
Health & Wellness: Free unless otherwise stated
- Foot Care - October 20th, & 21st - A specially trained nurse from Pedi-care will provide foot care, a general assessment of the feet and lower extremities, and provide guidance for better foot health. Cost: $30 (pay nurse directly, with check or cash). If you are interested, please call the Center for an appointment. Appointments are being made for December. Masks will be required for this clinic, due to the close proximity of individuals.
- Alzheimer’s Support Group – Wednesday, October 20th from 9:30am – 11:00am. The Vernon Alzheimer's Support Group will move from the Visiting Nurse & Health Services of Connecticut Office to the Vernon Senior Center. This is a general caregiver support group sponsored by the Alzheimer's Association. All are welcome. Information and resources will be provided. This program has limited seating. If you are interested in this program, please call Karla at 860-983-9202 to register. All participants need to be registered. This program is free.
- Diabetes Prevention Program – Are you concerned you may be prediabetic or on the path to a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes? ECHN is offering a FREE Diabetes Prevention Program, starting on Wednesday, October 6th at 10:00am. This program is a yearlong program. Participants will meet weekly for the first 6 months and then monthly for the next 6 months. Participants in the program will learn the skills to lose weight, be more physically active and manage stress. If you are interested please call the Center to register.
- Virtual Dementia Caregiver Support Group – Tuesday, October 26th from 11:00am – 12:00pm on Zoom - Alzheimer’s Association support groups, conducted by trained facilitators, are a safe place for people living with dementia and their care partners to talk through issues and ways of coping, share feelings, needs and concerns, and to learn about community resources. Presented by: Alzheimer’s Association. Please contact Nicole Matson: email@example.com or (860) 810-6123.
- Mindfulness – Monday, October 25th at 9:30am - Susan Barlow will guide you through a thirty-minute exercise in mindfulness. Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we are doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us. This program is free.
- Blood Pressure / Blood Sugar Screening – Tuesday, October 26th from 9:00am – 11:00am. A nurse from ECHN / Visiting Nurses will be at the Center on the fourth Tuesday of every month. No appointment is needed, a mask is required due to the close proximity of individuals. This program is free.
- Parkinson’s Support Group – Tuesday, October 26th from 9:30am – 11:00am. The intention of the support group is to gather with people to share and to learn about the disease. Rachael Geoffrion, RN is our support leader for this monthly group. This program is free.
- Hearing Screening – Wednesday, October 27th – A representative from Hearing Wellness Center will provide free hearing screenings, check hearing aids, and will be able to answer any questions you may have. This program is by appointment only. Call the Center to make the appointment.
Creative Corner: Free unless stated otherwise
- Cards with Beth – Monday, October 18th at 1:00pm - Are you looking for that special card? Why not make it? Beth has card kits for every occasion. Kits are payable by cash or check made out to Beth Werner. Prices vary from $1-$3, per card.
- Make It & Take It Paint Class – Thursday, October 21st at 9:30am & 1:00pm – This month’s painting is “Picturesque Landscape.” Make a beautiful acrylic painting in one session! Sandra Poirier will take you step-by-step in creating your own masterpiece. Supplies are included. This class costs $15 per person. Payment is due at sign-up.
- Tuesday, October 19th at 11:00am – Trivia
- Tuesday, October 26th at 11:00am - Scattergories
- Every Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. - Bingo (Participants pay for cards used)
- Thursday, October 28th from 11:00am – 12:00pm - Virtual Bingo - Nicole, from Home Helpers, is running a virtual BINGO program.
Trips Through Friendship Tours: Call for prices. Flyers are available at the Vernon Senior Center.
- The Turkey Train Winnipesaukee Railroad – Tuesday, October 19, 2021 - This trip is full. There is a waiting list.
- Van Gogh – The Immersive Experience – Boston – Wednesday, November 10, 2021 – This trip is full. There is a waiting list.
- The Edwards Twins at the Aqua Turf Club – Wednesday, December 8, 2021
- Alaska Discovery Land & Cruise: June 2022
- Southern Charm: Fall of 2022