Vernon Senior Center News
Exercise Programs: Registration is required for the exercise programs.
- Chair Yoga – Mondays at 1:00pm - This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Seated Volleyball – Mondays, September 25th at 11:00am - Free
- Line Dancing Class – Tuesdays at 9:30am - This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Cardio Drumming – Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:00pm, and Thursdays at 4:00pm. This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Trail Walking Group – Tuesdays at 9:00am – This group walks on the Vernon Rails to Trails. Free
- Tai Chi – Thursdays at 9:30am - This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Strength Class – Thursdays at 12:00pm - This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Drop-in Yoga Class – Thursdays at 6:30pm - Cost: $5 per class.
- Beginner Line Dancing Class – Fridays at 9:30am -This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Balance Class – Fridays at 12:00pm -This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list. A new class has been added to Wednesdays at 12:00pm. Space is available in the Wednesday class. Call for availability.
The Fitness Center equipment is available by appointment only. Participants are required to have a doctor’s consent form, signed no longer than a month prior.
- Watercolor Painting Class – Fridays, September 22nd, 29th, October 6th & 13th from 9:30am-11:30am – Explore the joy of painting florals and landscapes in vivid color using wet and glazing techniques. Beginner to advanced painters are welcome. Bring whatever watercolor supplies that you have. Lynette Goric will lead the class. Cost: $40 – Resident / $45 – Non-resident. This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Make It & Take It – Paint Class – Thursday, September 28th at 1:00pm – Supplies are included. This class costs $20 per person. Payment is due at sign-up, starting Sept. 5th.
- Crafty Creations – Wednesday, September 27th at 1:00pm – Fall Festive Decoration – Nicole, from HomeHelpers, will be leading a fall craft program. She will teach us how to make a Fall Festive Decoration for the front door. The project will have bells to enjoy when you use your door. All needed materials are provided. This class is full. Please call to be added to the waiting list.
- Creative Writing – Thursday, September 28th at 6:00pm – Creative writing is an art form that goes beyond traditional writing, allowing individuals to express their thoughts, emotions, and ideas through the power of words. Writing prompts will be given, so participants are able to complete and discuss with the group, the following month. Participants can decide to share or not. There is no right or wrong in creative writing. The following are the prompts for Sept.: 1.) Look through the news and describe an hour in the life of someone who has had something unusual happen to them. 2.) Find an old photo of yourself. Write about memories it inspires. If you are interested, please call the Center to register starting Sept. 5th.
Health & Wellness: Free unless otherwise stated
- Veterans Coffee Hour – Monday, September 25th at 9:30am – Our Veterans Group is led by Sherri Vogt, Veterans Liaison, Hartford HealthCare at Home. Sherri will be sharing information regarding veteran entitlement programs. This group will meet monthly. This program is open to Vernon Senior Center members only.
- Blood Pressure / Blood Sugar Screening – September 26th from 9:30am – 11:00am - Appointments are needed. Please call the Center to make an appointment.
- Hearing Screening – Wednesday, October 25th – If you are interested, please call the Center for an appointment. Walk-ins will not be permitted.
Reoccurring Monthly Programs: Free
- The Great Courses – Wednesdays at 10:00am, September 27th – “Reconsidering JFK”
- Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective – The Thames Murders & Other Cases – Tuesday, September 26th at 6:00pm – Each Month will be a different case to solve. If you are interested please call the Center to register, starting Sept. 1st.
- At the Movies – Tuesday, September 26th at 6:00pm, & Friday, September 29th at 1:00pm - The movie is 80 for Brady.
- Food for Thought – Wednesday, September 27th at 11:00am – Quick & Easy Apple Tart. If you are interested please call the Center to register, starting Sept. 1st.
- Mysteries & “Just Desserts” – Friday, October 6th at 1:00pm – Grilled for Murder by Maddie Day.
Nutritional Lunch Program:
- Lunches are served on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 11:45am-12:15pm, and the cost is $5 each. Payment can be made with cash or check made out to the Vernon Senior Center. The lunches will be served & enjoyed in-house. Food cannot be taken out of the Center. Menu is subject to change without notice. Lunch reservations must be made no later than 10:00am the day prior by calling 860-870-3596.
- Boston Harbor Luncheon Cruise - September 28, 2023 (This trip is full, waiting list only.)
- Fall Foliage in the Adirondack Mountains, Lake Placid, NY - October 9 - 11, 2023 (This trip is full, waiting list only.)
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum - October 25, 2023 (This trip is full, waiting list only.)
- "Silver Bells & Diamonds" at the Aqua Turf Club - December 5, 2023 (Registration opens October 2, 2023.)
Collette Vacation Tours:
- California Dreamin': Monterey, Yosemite & Napa - April 29 - May 6, 2024
- Reflections of Italy - October 16 - 25, 2024