Vernon Senior Center News
December Special Events:
- Holiday Luncheon with Noah Lis – Wednesday, December 13th at 12:30pm: Lunch, 1:00pm: Entertainment – This program is full. Please call the Center to be put on the waitlist.
- Holiday Dance Production – Thursday, December 14th at 3:30pm – Grossi Dance Academy is coming to the Center to put on a holiday production for our members. The performers range from 7-15 years old. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
- Winter Gnome – December 18th-22nd – Here is a little-known fact about the Vernon Senior Center. Every winter, we have a cute little gnome that likes to keep us on our toes. He enjoys hiding in silly spots and having us find him. The staff has decided to get help from its members again this year. He will hide every day for the week of December 18th – 22nd. He is so excited that he has gotten prizes for the members that spot him first on each day. When a member spots him, just bring him up to the front desk and receive a prize. Good Luck! He’s sneaky!
- Yankee Swap – Tuesday, December 19th at 10:00am – A Yankee Swap is a fun way to exchange gifts. Each participant will come with a wrapped gift worth $10. Each participant will receive a number, which will indicate their place in the exchange. Each senior will choose a gift to unwrap and either keep or swap with another’s gift. Everyone will leave with a present. There will be refreshments to enjoy as well. Cost: Price of the present. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
- Rockville High School Choir – Tuesday, December 19th at 12:00pm – The students from the Rockville High School Choir are coming to the Center to spread holiday cheer! They will be singing holiday classics for our members to enjoy. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
- Holliday Sing-A-Long – Thursday, December 21st at 2:30pm – DJ Gary is bringing his holiday spirit and his music for an uplifting sing-a-long. He will have the words displayed on the big-screen TV and/ or on handouts. There will also be refreshments. There’s no better way to brighten your holiday spirit than with music, good company, and delicious refreshments. Come join the fun with this one-hour program. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
- The Singing Sensations Concert – Friday, December 22nd at 3:00pm – Our chorus, The Singing Sensations, will be performing here at the Center. They are going to be singing holiday and seasonal classics. There will be light refreshments served. Friends and family are invited, and everyone needs to register. If you are interested, please call the Center to register.
Exercise Programs: Registration is required for the exercise programs.
- Chair Yoga – Mondays at 1:00pm
- Seated Volleyball – Mondays at 11:00am, and Wednesdays at 2:00pm and Tuesday, Dec. 12th at 2:00pm
- Cardio Drumming – Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:00pm, and Thursdays at 4:00pm.
- Trail Walking Group – Tuesdays at 9:00am – this group walks on the Vernon Rails to Trails.
- Balance Class – Wednesdays and Fridays at 12:00pm
- Tai Chi – Thursdays at 9:30am
- Strength Class – Thursdays at 12:00pm
- Drop-in Yoga Class – Thursdays at 6:00pm
The Fitness Center equipment is available by appointment only. Participants are required to have a doctor’s consent form, signed no longer than a month prior.
- Creative Writing – Thursday, December 28th at 5:00pm – Creative writing is an art form that goes beyond traditional writing, allowing individuals to express their thoughts, emotions, and ideas through the power of words. Writing prompts will be given, so participants are able to complete and discuss with the group, the following month. Participants can decide to share or not. There is no right or wrong in creative writing. The length of your story is up to you. We recommend 1-2 pages. The following prompt is for Dec.: Choose2-3 recipes that are tied to a specific person or moment in your life, then tell the story behind them. If you are interested, please call the Center to register starting Dec. 6th.
- Grandparent Journaling – Monday, December 11th from 9:30am-10:30am – Grandparent journaling is a great way for you to tell your story to your grandchildren through letters. The letters come in the form of a book. Each person will receive their own book to work on. Each class will work on one themed letter to put in the book. The book would make a wonderful, personal gift to give your grandchild/children. Members should bring their books with you to class.
- Crafty Creations – Friday, December 29th at 1:00pm – Decorating with Bleached Pinecones – Discover the joy of decorating with bleached pinecones and turning them into a beautiful seasonal project! If you are interested, please call the Center to register starting Dec. 4th. Seats are limited.
- Make It & Take It – Paint Class – Thursday, December 14th at 1:00pm – Supplies are included. This class costs $20 per person. Payment is due at sign-up starting December 4th.
Health & Wellness: Free unless otherwise stated
- Foot Care – December 7th & 21st – Cost: $45 (pay nurse directly, with check or cash). If you are interested, please call the Center for an appointment. Appointments are currently being scheduled for January, 2024.
- Alzheimer’s Caregiver Support Group – Wednesday, December 20th from 9:30am – 11:00am. If you are interested in this program, please call Karla at 860-983-9202 to register. All participants need to be registered.
- Blood Pressure / Blood Sugar Screening – Tuesday, January 23rd from 9:30am – 11:00am - Appointments are needed. Please call the Center to make an appointment.
- Hearing Screening – Wednesday, January 24th – All appointments are full. Please call the Center to be added to the waiting list. Walk-ins will not be permitted.
Reoccurring Programs - Free
- The Great Courses – Wednesdays at 10:00am – Dec. 6th: “Solving for Zero: The Search for Climate Innovation”, Dec. 20th & 27th: “Great Masters: Mozart – His Life and Music”
- Genealogy Club – Thursday, December 14th at 1:00pm
- Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective – The Thames Murders & Other Cases – Friday, December 15th at 1:00pm, & Tuesday, December 26th at 3:00pm – Each Month will be a different case to solve. If you are interested please call the Center to register.
- At the Movies – Tuesday, December 19th at 3:00pm – The movie is A Christmas Prince.
- Bookworm’s Book Club – Thursday, December 21st at 10:00am – A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
- At the Movies – Tuesday, December 26th at 3:00pm - The movie is The Age of Adaline.
- Newcomers Group – Wednesday, December 27th at 11:00am
- At the Movies – Friday, December 29th at 1:00pm - The movie is Poms.
- Mysteries & “Just Desserts” – Friday, January 5th at 1:00pm – Meet Your Baker by Ellie Alexander.
Nutritional Breakfast & Lunch Program:
- Breakfasts are served on Wednesdays from 9:30am-10:00am, and lunches are served on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 11:45am-12:15pm, the cost is $5 each. Payment can be made with cash or check made out to the Vernon Senior Center. Meal reservations must be made no later than 10:00am the day prior by calling 860-870-3596.
Presentations: Free unless otherwise stated
- Understanding Your Electric Bill – Tuesday, December 12th at 11:00am – PURA is Connecticut’s utility regulator tasked with ensuring that investor-owned electric, natural gas, and water utilities provide safe, clean, reliable, and affordable service and infrastructure. PURA’s customer affairs unit will run the presentation to inform local ratepayers on how to understand their utility bills and compare energy suppliers on the EnergizeCT.com rate board. Attendees are encouraged to bring a copy of their electric bill and ask questions during the Q&A segment of the event. If you are interested please call the Center to register.
- Ask a Lawyer – Wednesday, December 20th at 1:00pm – Allison Poirier, from Kahan, Kerensky, and Capossela, will be presenting on "The Importance of Having Incapacity Documents". Examples of these documents are Power of Attorney, Living Wills, etc. If you are interested please call the Center to register.
Friendship Tours Trip:
- Friendship Tours Trip Presentation - Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 2:00pm. The Friendship Tours staff will review the 2024 trip offerings. Trip flyers will be available for preview. Please call the Center to register for this presentation.
Collette Vacation Tours:
- California Dreamin': Monterey, Yosemite & Napa - April 29 - May 6, 2024
- Reflections of Italy - October 16 - 25, 2024