Buy Local Vernon
Vernon's "Buy Local" campaign is intended to educate consumers about the economic and social advantages that independent and local businesses bring to a community. The ultimate goal of this campaign is to further strengthen Vernon's economy by maximizing the potential of local businesses and increasing their market share (business, government, and consumer purchases) relative to non-locally owned businesses.
Reasons to Buy Local:
- Build Community! Local businesses are part of the fabric of our Town. Local businesses donate more than twice as much per sales dollar to local non-profits, charitable events and teams as compared to their national counterparts.
- Strengthen Our Local Economy! Dollars spent locally are re-invested locally. Each dollar that you spend at locally-owned, independent businesses returns 3 times more money to the local economy than one spent at a national chain and almost 50 times more than buying from a distant on-line retailer.
- Keep Our Community Unique! In an increasingly homogenized world, independent, one-of-a-kind businesses help give our Town a distinct identity and unique sense of place.
- Create A Sustainable Future! Independent, community-serving businesses typically consume less land, carry more locally-made products, and create less traffic and air pollution.
- Create More Jobs And Economic Opportunities! Small businesses are the largest employer nationally and create two out of every three new jobs. Entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in places that work to preserve their distinctive community character and one-of-a-kind stores, creating additional opportunities.
- Realize Better Value For Yourself! Small businesses make decisions based on the needs of their local customers, not on a national sales plan. Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products that they sell and take more time to get to know their customers. Consumer surveys repeatedly show independent businesses beating their chain competitors in overall customer satisfaction.
For more information and a directory of Vernon businesses, please visit the Vernon business inventory webpage.